How to Take Request Writing
Request writing exemplars are handwriting samples made at the request and under the supervision of the police, document examiners, or attorneys for comparison with questioned writing.
- Use a questionnaire to validate any circumstances that could affect the writing.
- Duplicate the writing conditions of the questioned document. If a suspect writing is handwritten, get handwriting for proper comparison. If a suspect document is printed in uppercase printing, the request writing should be uppercase printing as well.
- Duplicate the writing instrument. Compare ballpoint pen with ballpoint, pencil with pencil, and so on.
- Duplicate the writing environment. Photocopy the document, whiteout the suspect writing and duplicate the form several times. Have the suspect sign the samples one at a time, removing each sample as it is completed so that he cannot copy from his earlier work. If the questioned document is not available, use similar size paper to make up exemplars.
- If the questioned document is written under unusual circumstances, these circumstances should be duplicated. If the writer was standing while signing a questioned document, the writer should be asked to write in a standing position.
- Give specific instructions and make a note of the instructions given. For example, the writer was asked to print using all uppercase letters.
- To prevent the writer from disguising his exemplars, increase the speed of dictation to rush the writer. Distract him between handwriting samples.
- Have the suspect write with both hands. Indicate which hand is being used on each form that is signed.
- Date and sign all request writing with your initials; number the documents in the order in which they were executed; and include any special instructions that you gave the writer such as, "Use all uppercase.
- Additional request writing can be worded to include words, expressions, letters, names, and combinations found in the questioned writing. When a case involves numbers, have the suspect write his numbers from one to one hundred. Organize a diversity of alphanumeric characters into a paragraph such as the following letter.
- My Dear Zeb
Very soon now tax returns must be made to the United States Department of Internal Revenue by the American citizen, whether he lives in New York City or Zenia, Ohio. Here are some key pointers:
- Forms are provided.
- List all dependents.
- Blind people get extra credit.
- Employees must list all wages.
- Get the forms from your company.
- Jot down expenses.
- Keep a record of donations.
- Personal deductions over $1,000 must itemize. (The law allows you 10%).
- Husband and wife can file jointly.
- Quarterly payments must be made by self-employed.
The zero hour is coming! What other questions can I answer for you?
- My Dear Zeb